Andy Cap

Default Electric meter reading period

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:46:14 -0000, "bland"
wrote:

Just got an electricity bill combining two readings or estimates on one
bill, each itemised. As they didn't read the meter or send a bill for the
first of the two, and it is not dated, plus they don't say it was overdue,
they seem to be playing some little game.

This year my electric meter has been read (or estimated) every 2 mnths by
Powergen. I seem to remember that years ago it was read every 3 months. I
need to dig out all the old bills and check, but this post is easier.

This makes the electric more expensive.as the proportion of expensive
primary units (10.23p) to cheap secondary units (7.73p) is increased in a
2 month period rather than 3. Also the number of primary units is now
varying from reading to reading and seems to be decreasing. It was 173
units early in the year, now has been as low as 83.

So this seems to pan out that out that they say they read the meter every 2
months, but don't bother to physically turn up for half the readings. and
send a bill every 4 months.

This only makes a few pounds difference for me, but added up over say 1
million consumers, it could add up to several millions of extra pounds for
them.

Can anyone explain what is going on

Are you sure that there isn't two set of readings because of the
latest price rise.

A proportion of the 3 month period will be at the old primary and
secondary rates and the rest at the increased price.

I doubt they are billing you for two month periods.

As for meter readings, you can go to the Powergen site and enter them
yourself. Just recently, they have been e-mailing me to request them
about two weeks before the bill is due.

Andy