SJF

Default Light Fixture

"Mike O'Donnell" wrote in message
m...

"SJF" wrote in message
news:Jhgcf.60012$fE5.15896@fed1read06...

"buffalobill" wrote in message
ups.com...
i believe that due to reflection the sensor will be confused and turn
the light off in your example.
i believe you are describing an indoor photo-eye device.
other options:
1. replace with a 60 watt incandescent fixture with a photo-eye
already in it
2. or replace with a 13 watt flourescent fixture with a photo-eye
already in it
3. or add an outdoor photo-eye mounted on an outdoor electrical box for
your present fixture.

I have to question the several recommendations for a fluorescent bulb
used with a photo sensor in this thread, based on my recent experience.

I mounted entry lights at front and back doors with photo sensors built
into the fixture. Installed 13 watt compact fluorescent bulbs. Early
failure of both bulbs at about 200 hours of use. Repeated with different
brand bulbs -- same result. I concluded, and this has been confirmed by
several comments I've read on newsgroups, that the repeated blinking of
the lights at dusk cannot be tolerated by these bulbs. I'm now using 40
watt incandescents as the cheaper alternative.

SJF

I installed an 18 watt (75 watt equiv) CFL in our outdoor post (it has a
photocell control built into it). It's been three years now and I haven't
had to replace it yet. It runs every night, all night.

Sent the following reply earlier but doesn't show in the newsgroup here.

Much better situation. I got reflection off the wall which caused the
blinking at turn-on. With your post mounted light, you should have been
able to avoid the wall reflection and the blinking. Off wall mounting, if
convenient, is obviously
the better way to do it.

SJF