Greg G.

Default Sorry for the off topic post

Bruce Ferguson said:

I apoloigize ahead of time for this off topic post but I figured with all
the people out there some one may have the answer.

snip

If you can't ask your friends, who can you?

I've seen a few of the suggestions here, and here is my observation.

Ductile iron pipes and poured lead/oakum packed joints.
Quiet, durable, and a real PITA to modify. DAMHIKT

If all you are trying to do is remove the cleanout plug, I wouldn't
cut into the piping just yet. Every joint, every seam is a potential
leak or problem. Sometimes, the piping supports the weight of the
pipe above it. A boot will not provide that support and I'm not all
that fond of boots, but that's just me.

Why don't you just drill out the offending plug. Several 1/2" or so
holes around the plug, avoiding the threads, if there are any.
If it's a cast plug, it's brittle, if it's brass, it'll chip out.

Just don't bang around so much on the whole affair that you loosen
other joints. Lead poured joints WILL seep gas if jarred too much.

JMHO,

Greg G.