Bruce Ferguson

Default Sorry for the off topic post

Racheting cutter. Is that like a cutter for copper pipe? It just goes round
and round ant the pipe is cut off?? I was thinking hack saw or saber saw
with a metal cutting blade. I have seen saber saws at Harbor Freight and
thought if they lasted long enough it would work.
Leif I cant resist this.....How long did you soak that pipe in LLD to make
it soft enough to cut??

Bruce
"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message

"Arch" wrote in message
Bruce, if you can't unscrew the plug, instead of messing about with old
lead, oakum and frozen threads it might be easier to just hacksaw
(actually I urged mine with a sledge) the clean out off and replace it
with a PVC fitting using adjustable vinyl compression couplings.

Real plumbers are laughing to keep from crying.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Arch! You must have been a chirurgen. Typical answer: cut, cut, cut! *G*
Actually your suggestion was exactly what I did under my house in San
Bernardino, many years ago. I rented a ratching cutter (they're made for
just such "operations" and resected the old iron pipe and installed new
plastic cleanout and junctions for the new grey water connections using
expandable rubber connectors with large hose clamps to remate the with the
resectioned ends of the iron pipe. Worked like a charm, with not too much
labor under the house, although I could have used a pretty nurse to mop my
fevered brow! *G*

Leif