Rich K

Default (Wooden) kitchen worktops

wrote in message
Stuart Noble wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:

Wooden worktops are hard work and IMHO more trouble than they're worth.
I certainly wouldn't oil them, I'd go for a strong surface coating like
Rustin's bar-top. Oak is particularly troublesome for staining.

If you do go for wood, then you need to do it carefully. Decent timber,
decent jointing technique to put the boards together, decent framing to
hold it flat. Simple finger jointed cheapwood is just asking for it to
warp and probably split - so avoid Ikea. If you're going to do it at
all, you really have to do it properly or else they're a nightmare. This
isn't cheap. Nor is it trivial DIY if you're inexperienced with joinery.

Nothing wrong with Ikea beech worktops.

When I was last in IKEA I looked at some of their beech block worktops
which
they use extensively for their own display and office-type surfaces (where
they put leaflets and reps work at when taking orders etc). Even without
the benefit of exposure to H2O these surfaces looked pretty tatty and
tired, and some were warped.

Yup the store ones look tatty ok, dirty and dented. It makes you wonder how
they sell any.

However you do need to prepare wood for oiling so a marked surface isn't all
that a big deal.

As for warped wood, this one is simple, you don't buy a warped one.