Michael Kennedy

Default Scope help.. How much voltage is too much?

I have a old heathkit tube oscilloscope. It is a model I0-17. I was wanting
to learn a little about it and how to use it. My biggest question is how
much voltage can a scope usually handle? This scope doesn't have any probes.
Are there special probes for scopes that are different than those for
multimeters?

My first project I want to use it for is trying to find where I'm getting a
buzz in my stereo. It will buzz if my computer is hooked up to and it is
grounded. If the computer is ungrounded it doesn't buzz. The stereo only has
a two wire connector so it isn't groudned. I thought this scope could be
usefull in tracking down where the buzzing is coming from.. Anyhow I need to
know if I can plug this thing into the wall (120vac) or if it will blow up
if I do that.