Rich

Default Grizzly G0500 8" Jointer on 220/20A circuit

I run my G0500 on a 220v 20 amp circuit. I haven't let the smoke out of it
so far. If you have a short that would cause the breaker to go, it shouldn't
be a problem.

"Seawulf" wrote in message
I jut received my G0500. It is pre-wired for 220V and the 2HP motor pulls
12A at that voltage.

Currently (no pun intended) the main tools in my shop are a 2 1/2 HP
Bandsaw and a 3HP table saw. I am a one-man shop and have no need for the
bandsaw and table saw to be running simultaneously. So, they both run on
a single 220V 20A 'dedicated' circuit. Neither tool manual suggested a
maximum CB amperage.

The Grizzly manual is very specific about running the Jointer on a (220)
15A circuit because "circuit breakers rated any higher are not adequate to
protect the circuit." Earlier in the same paragraph, though, they talk
about "...the following guidelines when choosing a circuit breaker." So,
guidelines or edicts?

I had planned on using the same 20A circuit for the jointer. If it pulls
12A under normal conditions, placing it on a 15A circuit seems to be
hoping for the best. The internal wiring from the starter and switch on
the jointer are 14 gauge. It appears to me from other sources that 14
gauge can easily handle 20A. I don't know about the other components,
though.

I am reluctant to disreguard a manufacturer's guidance. I suppose I will
check with Grizzly support for their answer, but I am curious about how
the rec feels about this question.

Thanks for your help,
Charlie