Jon Elson

Default Cutting Automotive Shock Pistons?

Rex B wrote:
Nope, the strut rods are hardened chrome, and no cutting tool will cut
that
surface. The inside is also darn hard, but can be cut with difficulty
by carbide cutters.
The chromed surface, however, can only be cut by grinding wheels or
abrasive
saw blades. The inside of the shaft is still too hard to bandsaw with
any blade
I have.

I haven't had any problem turning these once past the 'crust'.
Doesn't turn very pretty, but it's machinable for my purposes. I don't
think my HF bandsaw would have a problem cutting a de-chromed section.
but I may have to try it now.

Only if you are willing to lose a blade. I can't vouch for ALL strut
rods, but the one pair I have are pretty darn hard stuff, and it ate my
bandsaw blade in one second. I had ground below the chrome first.
I had to do all work by grinding or turning with carbide tools, and it
was quite hard on the carbide, too. I made an extension punch for an
air chisel, and use it as a "mini jackhammer" for blasting holes through
concrete walls. It does an amazing job without any attempt to harden
it, even. I do have to resharpen the point on the thing a dozen times
while making the hole, though.

Jon