Default Slowing down an AC motor with an SCR

What I'm wondering about it the torque. If say I slow down our
bandsaw by 25% would the torque decrease or stay the same. I'm using a
bandsaw to cut brass and have slowed it down with an idler pulley and
its just fine but occasionlly I need to cut material a bit harder and
its wearing the blades. I'm using 1/16 blades and they don't take
running hot too well. I want to be able to switch to my SCR circuit
and dial the speed I want when I have to cut this other material.
Ken