Rick

Default Electrical Question?

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...

"The Real Tom" Tom @ www.Love-Calculators.com wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 17:37:05 GMT, HorneTD
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article

.com,

#1 is more than NEC calls for. If you have a 200amp panel in

the
house
and want to run a 100amp sub panel, you will need to run #2AL

or
Copper.

Ummmm.... this depends a LOT on the specifics of the

installation. 100 amps on
#4 copper single insulated conductors in free air is OK, but

NOT
in raceway or
cable or earth. Ditto #2 aluminum, with the additional caveat

that it *also*
depends on the temperature rating of the conductor insulation,

e.g. #2
aluminum UF cable is limited to 75A, but #2 aluminum THHN is OK

at 100A.

Doug
I'm not trying to quibble when I say that the 90 degree column is

useful
only when derating the wire do to the number of conductors in a

cable or
raceway or the ambient temperature. Very few terminals are

actually
rated at 90 degrees centigrade so your final ampacity is limited

the
ampacity of the conductor at the temperature rating of the

terminals to
which it is connected. Since the ampacity of the #2 Al is ninety
amperes at 75 degree centigrade rating of most terminals and that

is a
standard breaker and fuse size a larger wire is required.

WOW!

I brought this up to a fellow electrician. Why are we allowed to

use
#2 AL for 100amp subpanel, and he said he's used #2 for servers

and
feeders for dwellings for years, per Table 310.15(B)(6). I

agreed,
and said I wasn't feeding a dewlling, just a sub panel in the same
dwelling, so per 110.14(c)(1) and table 310.16 and limited by 75C
terminals on the sub panel and feeder breaker aren't I limited to

90
amps?

The concensious is #2 AL is good for 100 amps because of Table
310.15(B)(6) reguardless if it's feeding a dewelling or a portion

of
dewelling, it's still a dewelling (loads).

Can anyone confirm this?

later,

tom

310-15(b)(6)

120/240 volt, 3 wire, single phase dwelling service and feeders

For dwelling units, conductors as listed in Table 310-15(b)(6) shall
be permitted as 120/240 volt 3 wire single phase service entrance
conductors, service lateral conductors, and feeder conductors that
serve as the main power feeder to a dwelling unit and are installed
in raceway or cable with or without an equipment grounding

conductor.
For application of this section, the main power feeder shall be the
feeder(s) between the main disconnect and the lighting and appliance
branch circuit panelboards...

The last line is kind of vague, does a subpanel qualify? I've always
considered Table 310-15(b)(6) as just for service drops...

OK, I looked at an older (1990) version of an NEC handbook. A footnote
in the handbook states in part "If there are panelboards on the load
side of the main service-entrance equipment supplied by feeders, Note
3 also permits a reduction in the conductor size of these feeders as a
result of a revision for the 1990 NEC".

Can't say if that's still in effect for 2005...