Puckdropper

Default Best Buy and Geek Squad computer privacy issues

Mike Berger wrote in news:dkt5ui$6cp$2
@roundup.shout.net:

*snip*

They have no business looking at the data. End of story.
If they are poking around in customer's files where they
don't belong, why should anybody believe they'd have the
integrity to keep the information to themselves? And if
they're sharing with other technicians, they clearly don't.

In some repairs, it is necessary to look at a customer's files (or at
least a file on their computer) to verify the repair was done properly.
As a tech, you should be aware of this and try to determine if such a
thing would be necessary and ask permission before hand. "You have a
problem with Office crashing when you open files? What documents can I
look at to attempt to fix this problem?"

This debate is actually YEARS old, I remember reading guidelines that
said something to the extent of "If you find it necessary to view a
customer's files, you should keep whatever's in the file to yourself."

Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.