Bruce Ferguson

Default Sorry for the off topic post

I had taken apart one that was on the outside of the house for the washer
when I found the screw within the plug thing. After putting it back several
times I put a rubber cap that just streachd across it. I think the plug was
also cast iron but I didn't scratcch to see.

Bruce

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
The way the sewer cleaning firms do it around here looks scary
but it works. Those large threaded plugs are usually brass.
They pound the edge with a cold chisel and hammer, until they
can remove it. It won't be reusable, of course. Then they
replace it with a plastic plug, which will come out much easier
next time.

Don't get too attached to the old brass plug. Pound away.

Bruce Ferguson wrote:
I apoloigize ahead of time for this off topic post but I figured with all
the people out there some one may have the answer.

My house was buildt in the 50's and has the iron sewer pipes under the
house. The cleanouts look like a two piece afair. The first is a
tapered piece that is held in with picking or lead and the screw out
piece is in the middle. Of course they are all frozen and stuck.
Question, do you think heat would help free them??? If so would you heat
the center piece or the piece it screws into??? I don't know if they
make those pieces any more to dig out the packing and replace them. Most
everything is plastic. I guess you can figure out why I need to get to
the clean out. If some one knows a web site I would be happy to go
there.
Sorry again for the off topic post.

Bruce