Leon

Default help understanding face frame cup hinges and what size to use

"Keith Boeheim" wrote in message
news
I am taking on a project that is bigger than I have done before. An 8 foot
entertainment wall unit in 2', 4', 2' sections. I have built the carcases
but I am stuck on the doors. How do I predict the size I need for the face
frame cup hinges? Is there a difference in overlay when the door is closed
and when it is open and if so which overlay size to you buy for?. I have
visited Rockler's web site but the info is still sketchy to me.

Thanks for any help

I buy these type hinges by the 100's. Typically the face frame overlay
hinges come in different overlay measurements. I always use 1/2" overlay
hinges. Simply double the amount of overlay and add it to the width and
height of the actual opening in the cabinet. For example when I use 1/2"
overlay face frame hinges on a door to cover a 14" x 20" opening, I make the
door 15"x21".
The second obstacle is hole placement in the door for the cup. Every hinge
of this type that I have used requires that you have the edge of the hole
1/8" from the edge of the door. Up and down measurements are strictly up to
you. If you drill the hole more than 1/8" from the edge of the door the
door will rub the cabinet face frame when you open or close the door.
Theoretically doors using these type hinges can almost be places next to
each other so clearance is normally not an issue providing you measure
properly. The hinges offset them selves when opened and closed such that
tight tolerances between doors can be obtained. That said this is more
important when building the more traditional Euro cabinets that have no face
frames at all and all you see is doors and drawer fronts. Typically with a
face framed cabinet you have plenty of clearance as usually the face frame
is exposed between the doors.