Pat Barber

Default help understanding face frame cup hinges and what size to use

cup hinges(euro hinges) come in three "basic" flavors with
a little twist here and there.

(1) full overlay
(2) half overlay (used when two doors are back to back)
(3) full inset
(4) face frame --- full overlay

A cheap and easy way to predict door size is make a "dummy"
out of 3/4" mdf and see how it works.

With face frame hinges, I would shoot for 3/8" all the way
around BUT ..you need to pick a hinge before you build the
doors. The hinge will determine door size.

Did you read this ????

http://www.rockler.com/articles/disp..._id=51#overlay

Note that they come in 3 different overlays....

I would find a hinge I like and stick with that hinge going forward.

Keith Boeheim wrote:

I am taking on a project that is bigger than I have done before. An 8
foot entertainment wall unit in 2', 4', 2' sections. I have built the
carcases but I am stuck on the doors. How do I predict the size I need
for the face frame cup hinges? Is there a difference in overlay when the
door is closed and when it is open and if so which overlay size to you
buy for?. I have visited Rockler's web site but the info is still
sketchy to me.

Thanks for any help

kb