BobS

Default help understanding face frame cup hinges and what size to use

Keith,

Not sure I'm understanding what you wrote but it sounds like you want to
know what kind of Euro (hidden hinge) to buy. You can look up the exact
sizes up at several sites ( www.blum.com ) is one.

As for how much overlay (door larger than opening), that's a design decision
but 1/2" overlay is pretty typical. For instance, if the cabinet door is
made 1" wider and 1" taller than the face frame openings then you would have
1/2" overlay all the way around and would use a 1/2" overlay hinge. The
next consideration is how far do you want the hinge to open the door (90°,
110°... more...) and then whether the hinge is mounted to the edge of the
face frame (3/4" stock I presume) or is it a side mounted hinge as used in
Euro stile cabinets that don't have a face frame.

And.... if you're design includes a center stile (a door on either side)
then you need to consider the width of the stile, how much the doors will
overlap the center stile (looks count here...) The overlay on the hinge
side can be different than the handle side. For that matter, you can have
whatever overlay you want on all the edges just so long as the hinge side is
an overlay size that matches the type hinge you're buying.

Then there is the 35mm hole for the hinge cup on the door itself but there
are styles that mount flush and do not need a hole if I remember correctly.
Alignment is pretty critical and there are some pricey jigs you can buy to
guide the cutting of the hole and mounting screws but you can make one in
about 10 mins from some scraps too. The distance from the edge of the door
to the hole is 1/8" on 1/2" overlay doors. If you use 3/8" or 5/8" overlay
hinges then that distance to edge and hole will vary. So yes, you need to
know how much the door will overlay the hinge side of the frame before you
purchase the hinges.

But there are always exceptions and like just about all other technologies -
they change damn near overnight.

Bob S.

"Keith Boeheim" wrote in message
news
I am taking on a project that is bigger than I have done before. An 8 foot
entertainment wall unit in 2', 4', 2' sections. I have built the carcases
but I am stuck on the doors. How do I predict the size I need for the face
frame cup hinges? Is there a difference in overlay when the door is closed
and when it is open and if so which overlay size to you buy for?. I have
visited Rockler's web site but the info is still sketchy to me.

Thanks for any help

kb