Spehro Pefhany

Default Update on machinist trainee

On 9 Nov 2005 13:15:25 -0800, the renowned jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Harold, please inform me about exactly which jobs are providing
that elusive "unearned money." I've been searching for those
for years. All the stories I hear along these lines seem to indicate
that shortly after the trainee thinks he has one, he gets fired
out the door.

Jim

Not referring to just machinists, Jim. Workpeople in general. Do you
feel a kid in high school, lacking skills of any kind, is worth over $7 hr
to serve burgers? I don't.

Do you think a UPS driver is worth $28 hr? I don't.

That's free market economics Harold. If they could pay less, they would.

Seems like UPS has decided that if they pay seven bucks an hour, they
get the druggie crowd who shows up at work whenever they feel like it.
Or if not, then they don't.

Short of imposing wage caps I don't think there's much you can do.

It doesn't matter what *you* personally think a living wage is. The
free market does that for the employer. Pay less, and your business
suffers because you either get the loyal idiots that some have complained
about, or the geniuses who all seem to have some sort of wing down over
one issue of another.

You bet UPS drivers are worth that much. But not because I say so.

Because UPS HAS to pay that much to run their business.

Jim

I think probably that the International Brotherhood of Teamsters has
something to do with it too.