Eric R Snow

Default Update on machinist trainee

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 12:54:24 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Don't hesitate to make a connection between one's worth in production as
opposed to wanting to earn a couple hundred bucks per hour. People

in
the US have had too much, for too long, and have lost their perspective.
It's time for all of us to start realizing that unearned money is not in
anyone's interest---including the recipient.

Harold, please inform me about exactly which jobs are providing
that elusive "unearned money." I've been searching for those
for years. All the stories I hear along these lines seem to indicate
that shortly after the trainee thinks he has one, he gets fired
out the door.

Jim

Not referring to just machinists, Jim. Workpeople in general. Do you
feel a kid in high school, lacking skills of any kind, is worth over $7 hr
to serve burgers? I don't.

Do you think a UPS driver is worth $28 hr? I don't.

These, amongst many others, are the people that are making it more expensive
for all of us to live. They generally have no credentials that make them
worth their pay-----and can easily be replaced with anyone off the street.

You want more pay----get an education, so you have something to sell.
You don't want to go to school, or maybe you can't? Then learn a trade and
get good at it. Make yourself into something that can't be replaced by
anyone off the street. Only then are you worth more than minimum wage,
which, in this state (Washington) is totally unreasonably high.

Harold

Harold,
I do think 7 bucks an hour is reasonable to get paid for flipping
burgers. At least in WA State. Living expenses are high. The people
who are making this low wage are not to blame for the high cost of
living. I can't see why they have to suffer first when it comes time
to cut costs. And I don't know about your UPS drivers, but the ones
that deliver my stuff are all in good shape because they have to
deliver so many packages. And to top it off, they have all been nice
folks who went out of their way to make sure I got my packages
delivered when I wasn't here. 28 bucks doesn't seem that high to me.
And when I ship UPS I think the prices are reasonable. I can't imagine
ever paying someone who works hard only minimum wage. Frankly, I don't
care if the person is un-skilled with an IQ of 50. If they bust their
butt digging me a ditch while I crank handles then they deserve to be
paid well. If they are a slacker, no matter how educated or smart,
then maybe minimum wage is OK for them. And Harold, since I pay people
like ditch diggers starting at $10.00/hr, I at least put my money
where my mouth is.
Eric R Snow
E T Precision Machine