Default How is a Lathe Measured?

JWho wrote:

When you say chuck, is that similar to a chuck on a cordless/electrical
drill, just special for a lathe? It's for holding a tube or rod or similar,
correct?

Well, sorta in that it used multiple jaws to hold things, but it's much
larger and heavier and designed to take side loads that a jacobs chuck
(drill chuck) couldn't.

At the bottom, it has, "Through chuck capacity: 5/8" ". Is that the same as
"through hole in the headstock" that you mentioned? Would that make it
unable to use some size of solid rod, or would it just make it less
convenient or use more rod?? I am not 100% sure what that means to me.

Yes, same dimension. What it would mean is that if you wanted to make
something like your bushing out of stock thicker than 5/8", you would
need to saw off a pice that you could hold in the chuck. You'd do all
your turning, then probably use a parting tool to turn the section you
want off of a wasted stub left in the chuck. Wheras if you had a
larger through capacity, you could just work on the end of a longer
piece and only part off what you need when you are done.