Ed Sirett

Default Gas oven - flexible gas pipe NOT allowed!

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 19:55:18 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Just had a Corgi round to install a built-in Baumatic gas oven with hob
above. However, he and I were both scratching our heads over the oven
installation instructions, which state:

"Warning: the use of a flexible rubber tubing attached to the outlet
connector is prohibited because it cannot be inspected".

Now given that the gas hob definitely needs to be fitted with fixed pipe
work, how the hell can the oven also be fitted that way? There's no way
to access the back of the oven. We wondered about the wisdom of making
a large access hole in the external wall of the house but that seemed a
*tad* like overkill, so the Corgi just fitted the oven in the normal way
using a rubber hose/bayonet connector.

Bizzarre or what? Anyone able to shed any light on this?

I've only fitted one gas oven and I used a flexible connection that was a
few years back. However I do note that the safety guidelines as found in
some recent (2005) gas fitting texts state that rigid pipework is to be
used.

The only way I can think this might be achievable is to make the
service isolator accessible in an adjacent cupboard (say). Then make a
compression joint behind the oven accessible from an adjacent cupboard.
Thus the pipe can be disconnected and the oven removed.

I really need more info why the flexible hose is not permitted here.