Stuart Noble

Default (Wooden) kitchen worktops

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 9 Nov 2005 10:04:04 -0800, "Nottingham Jon"
wrote:

I have been thinking about getting solid wood worktops

Dubious for starters

(prob. from Ikea, and prob. oak/poss. beech)

A disaster waiting to happen.

Wooden worktops are hard work and IMHO more trouble than they're worth.
I certainly wouldn't oil them, I'd go for a strong surface coating like
Rustin's bar-top. Oak is particularly troublesome for staining.

If you do go for wood, then you need to do it carefully. Decent timber,
decent jointing technique to put the boards together, decent framing to
hold it flat. Simple finger jointed cheapwood is just asking for it to
warp and probably split - so avoid Ikea. If you're going to do it at
all, you really have to do it properly or else they're a nightmare. This
isn't cheap. Nor is it trivial DIY if you're inexperienced with joinery.

Nothing wrong with Ikea beech worktops.