Harry K

Default Is my over hang designed properly?

Home owner wrote:
I am thinking about building an overhang from our shed to park my
trailers under. I am curious if my current design is structurally
sound. I am building in southern Maryland so there is some snow but not
much.

I would like to build 24 foot by 18 foot over hang. The slope of the
roof would be on the 18 foot span. The 24 foot side would but up
against my existing shed. The rafters would run the 18 foot span.

First is 6 4x4 posts sunk two feet in the ground enough? I think code
in my area is 18 inches. One post on each corner and one in the front
center and rear center.

Second do I need to use 2x6 or 2x8 for rafters? I am planning on puting
the rafters 24" on center.

I plans to sheath it with plywood and shingle it with cheapo fiberglass
shingles.

Is my plan sound?

Thanks Dan

Not enough information. Using 6 posts I see 8' between posts on the
24" side per your description. What are you bridging them with to
support the rafters. Just as a WAG I would say that you need at a
minimum 2x8 rafters.

If you need a building permit, draw your plans out and take them in.
They will quite rapidly tell you if you are up to code. Of course the
drawback is that you will wind up building way beyond what you consider
adequate. In my case, for a 26x10' shed roof, had I built to their
specs I could have parked a D6 cat on it.

Harry K