jerseycat10

Default Finishing a Basement: Question!

Posted Nov 08, 2005 07:40 PM
I am finishing my basement, and I have one wall that I am unsure how to
handle. Basically, here is the wall in question. Notice its adjacency
to my staircase.

http://www.bookac.com/Images/Basement/without_stud.jpg

If I decide to go with studs straight against this wall, like this:

http://www.bookac.com/Images/Basement/with_stud.jpg , I am going to
severely interfere with the size of that opening into the basement.
Also, I wouldn't know how to handle the transition from studded wall to
the sheetrock that is pre-existent in the stairwell (as can be seen in
the first image I linked).

I guess my question is, should I go with a studded wall, furring
strips, or am I supposed to somehow adhere the drywall/sheetrock to the
concrete wall. The last solution makes a little sense because it would
line up nicely with the sheetrock that already exists at the top of the
stairwell. Thoughts?

Thanks.