George

Default Skating on thin ice with a _long musing about turned 'novelties'.

"Arch" wrote in message
Before even tasting, I grind black pepper over light colored food and
shake salt on dark food and so I consume a lot of peppercorns.

Aren't you disrespecting the chef by seasoning or splashing condiments
without tasting the food?

Didja ever wonder if by competing with imported novelties we short
change ourselves and cheapen the woodturning craft/art/hobby/business?
In the long run
does this diminish the public's image of turned wooden objects, hence
lower their expectations of what they should pay us for what we do?

Nope, impulse buying is the same as grinding pepper before you taste.
Doesn't matter if you have cordon bleu or Denny's cuisine, it's what the
customer wants. They're going to pepper it.

There are so many small "pure" turnings to make; ornaments, boxes,
miniatures, bird houses, spurtles, etc. etc. that I wonder why we pander
to mediocrity, if that's what we do when we buy thinly plated, cheaply
made key ring, corkscrew. and pill holder kits? Pens, clocks, bottle
stoppers, and hand mirrors are a diferent matter' They are often
elegant. Anyway they are exempted for my safety.

So you can make your own sauce, or use Prego, either will nourish the body,
both taste about the same when loaded with secondary table seasonings, so
what's the problem? Only one I see is in finding someone with similar
taste, and money too. That's where the Prego or the turned gimmick comes
in. They've done the marketing tests.

If you've got filet, find a location near a steakhouse, if you've got
chicken-fried steak, a honkeytonk. Secret of success.