Eric R Snow

Default Update on machinist trainee

On 8 Nov 2005 20:47:12 -0800, "mr electron"
wrote:

What were you paying your "trainee"? I worked at a parts jobber and the
management's frequent lament was "why can't we find anyone who shows up
for work?" The $5.20/hr starting wage never once struck them between
the eyes like a brick.

Looking back on it, I think I desguised my stupidity as work ethic ;-)

$14.00/hour.
ERS

Eric R Snow wrote:
On 8 Nov 2005 08:25:52 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Eric R Snow says...

Well, things didn't turn out so well. Even though the guy working for
me was learning, he just couldn't seem to get in a 40 hour week. We
had a talk, and he said he would do better. But finally, even though
he was learning and enjoying it, he just was not dependable. I think
he felt that after he had been here a while it was OK to start being
sloppy about being on time and getting in 40 hours a week. It's too
bad, but I fired him this morning. Maybe I was too lenient which led
to his bad attendance. Whatever. He knew it was coming. I think he was
surprised that I told him to leave at once. I think he was counting on
at least a one week notice. I had considered that, but I know his
heart would not be in his work and so the parts would suffer. I think
that the next person I hire will need to have a little more
experience. And if he or she turns out to be a good employee then I
can start once again with the trainee business.
Eric R Snow,
E T Precision Machine

That's a shame, I know you were pleased with his progress.

As an aside, were his absences for good reasons, or just
unexplained?

For example, I know of one company that has a policy of
only giving a half week of vacation if you start after
the middle of the year. This is actually pretty thin if
you are starting a household in a new area, and have to
deal with new vehicle registrations, new utility services,
new medical plans and so on.

Jim

His excuses were lame. Like, "My battery is dead on my motorcycle & it
won't start". Never mind that he has two bikes and a car. Also, he was
getting sick with some sort of ailment about once a week. Always a
surprise. He would be fine one day, wake up really sick the next, and
be fine the next. He was either getting hung over or maybe it was
another drug besides alcohol. Lots of missed mondays. I also explained
up front all the policies I had. And stressed good attendence. In
fact, when someone is late it really ****es me off and I told him up
front that tardiness would not be tolerated. That if he felt that
showing up on time would be a burden that he should not even start
working for me. And you know, it really hurt him, not having 40 hour
work weeks, because I could not give him medical insurance. The
insurance company requires work at least 36 hours a week to be
considered "full time". And there was not one month where his hours
could be averaged to at least 36 hours per week. I shouldn't say any
more. I am really dissapointed in this guy. I guess he'll
figure it out some day.
Eric