Ed Huntress

Default Lead part - cast or turn?

"jim rozen" wrote in message

Consider the limiting endpoints where you have some *huge* number
of wheels, as many as would fit inside the bounding box. You
just know that car's gonna be a dog.

I think the simple answer is easy - you just run a car and time it.
Then take one wheel off and run it again. Just have the weight
rigged so it will run ok with three. If it really makes a difference
then it should be easily visible in the times.

Well, that's pretty much what we did, on our 16-foot test track. There was
no difference that we could measure.

But one car doesn't control for a lot of variables. So I don't know. I *did*
test weight placement, wheel camber, toe, etc. No toe; center the weight;
camber didn't have a conclusive result; straight-running on a flat floor was
the best indicator of speed on the track, all else being equal...which
stands to reason, because friction of the wheels against the center strip
seems to be the limiting factor, after wheels and axles are fully prepped.

--
Ed Huntress