EricP

Default Wiring load question

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 10:09:26 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Fine, except the bottom one has a washing machine and a dishwasher
plugged in. If both machines are on and the heaters go on, it seems
to me that the load on the spur wire is near maximum.

There's no problem with the spur per-se. It will handle the current. You do
have a problem with a designed in point loading on the ring, which would not
be considered a good idea these days. This point load would be the same even
if the socket is on the ring proper and would not be solved by a circuit
reconfiguration.

The correct solution these days is to have a dedicated circuit to the
laundry appliances, leaving the ring for portable appliances. This is how I
wired mine up. I've got a 32A ring and a separate 32A radial for the
dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer, run in 6mm cable. I can run
all the appliances simultaneously in complete confidence. The main kitchen
ring ends up quite underloaded, with only intermittent loads, like kettles
and microwaves, which is the best way to run them.

Christian.

No fear of you having problems then. )

Thanks for the input.