Jeff Liebermann

Default Best Buy and Geek Squad computer privacy issues

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 01:20:20 GMT, "kr0" wrote:

Apparently there is an issue with the Geek Squad at Best Buy viewing
personal files on computers. It seems that customers who have left their
personal computers to be serviced are concerned about unauthorized viewing
of pictures, information and other files. If you check out
https://www.lawyersandsettlements.co...buy_geek_squad they have the
information on this as well as what can be done about it. There is a free
case evaluation provided for those who may have experienced such an issue. I
thought this was interesting and hope that it might be of some help.

Lovely. Quoteing the complaint:
Allegations include unauthorized viewing of personal files,
information and pictures while the computers are left with the Geek
Squad resulting in embarrassment, breach of confidentiality, and
fear of dissemination of personal information.

Note that embarrassment is probably self-embarrassment, breach of
confidence is not actionable, and fear of dissemination doesn't
indicate that any dissemination took place. In other words, just
looking at the customers data is apparently the complaint. No actual
damage, embarrassment, or disclosure has taken place. Smells like a
fishing expedition.

Geek Squad privacy policy:
http://www.geeksquad.com/privacy/
Nothing on customers computer privacy issues.

It's impossible to untrash a Windoze machine without looking at the
files and programs installed on a machine. I run into machines full
of porno all the time. It's amazingly common. I don't look for it,
but it's hard to miss during scans, backups, updates, and config
exercises.

I saw a potential problem with testing programs after a repair job.
For example, running MS Word or Excel and opening the most recently
used document is the way I usually test for MS Office problems. If
it's some kind of embarrassing document, the customer will see what
I've been looked at in the MRU history list. This worries me for the
same reasons that the Geek Squad is being "investigated" so I usually
erase the MRU's and clean up Windoze with:
http://www.ccleaner.com
or any of the multitude of cleanup software available.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D