Earl

Default Skating on thin ice with a _long musing about turned 'novelties'.

The question almost sounds like a variation of the ol' Arts vs. Crafts
discussions with the implication that we shouldn't do craft because it
cheapens the art. But like it or not, woodturning is both and I don't
see anything wrong with that. Nor do I think it cheapens the more
profound pieces. Look at paintings: you can get cheapo knock offs,
printed copies, whatever for a few dollars or less. Millions of people
must buy them, put them in even cheaper frames and hang them in their
living room. But it in no ways cheapens or demeans true masterpieces
created by masters. The lathe is, after all, just a tool. Use if to
make cheap stuff to sell or give as gifts, use it to create
masterpieces. I don't think anybody is going to confuse the two.
Earl