carl mciver

Default Request for advice regarding cantilevered mounted bearing housing, deflections and shaft stresses

"John2005" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Hello everyone,
|
| I would like to ask for some advice regarding a cantilever mounted
| bearing housing.
|
| Due to various design constraints, I have two choices as to how I
| implement a cantilevered mounted bearing housing. I have uploaded two
| simple dimensioned jpeg images for reference, at the following site.
| You can Save or print the images as needed.
|
| http://www.ice9.zoomshare.com

SNIP

Model it both ways as a stationary device, but for worst case scenarios
and see which works out better. Since a load is a load, regardless of
whether its rotating, I think this would best be done thinking about it as
static. Oh, and stop trying to think about this is such complex ways, if
you do the math using simple and/or summarized numbers, you'll get the
safety factor you're looking for.
As to my opinion, housing two is likely the stronger of the two. You
have the load more evenly distributed, despite the difference in shaft size,
and this way the housing can act as a load path around the section between
the two bearings, assuming they are as secure as you'd like them to be. How
possible is it for you to provide a light duty thrust bearing where the
housing nears the support? It could be roller or brass (better roller, I
suspect, because of less wear and slop,) but either way it will pass some of
the load around the pin, letting you focus more on the shear load rather
than the cantilevered beam loading (you have to have a tight fit or that
will be a part of it, though.)
Can you provide snug or interference fit bushings on the pin between the
first bearing and the support, inside the housing? This would also take up
most of the bending load, and reduce the load on the pin to much closer to
shear load.