RoyJ

Default Newbie Tool question

You have an error in your question, the first and third links are the
same.

The ornamental things work well with the MIG welder you have so you have
a good start.

The 'parts bender' from Northern Tool is also available from Horrible
Freight
This is commonly on sale for $49.99 or $54.99

You probably want to buy 3 tools (sorry, you asked!) The order depends
on what kinds of things you are planning to make.

The 'parts bender' (see above) is good for sharp radius bends. Think
clamping a chunk of rod or strap in the vice and pounding on it. But
MUCH more repeatable, MUCH nicer bend quality. 3" radius and smaller.

The roller is for larger radius things: rings and hoops. 3 to 4" and
larger radius.

If you get into sheet material you will want the beading/forming tool:
By switching tooling you can do cutting, beads, forming, etc. Commonly
on sale for $99.95

I think I'd buy them in the order listed.

cheers.

wrote:

I've been reading this group for a while now and am impressed with the
knowledge I've seen. I've learned alot. I am new to metalworking, and
have a couple of questions I hope you can help with.

I want to make some ornamental things, mostly one-offs such as bird
feeder hangers, artistic wall hangings, etc. This would involved
making bends in mild steel. I plan to use mostly thin plate (less than
1/4 " for sure - mostly 24 gauge) and round and square bar (nothing
more than 3/8" - mostly 1/4" and smaller) and possibly rebar. This
would all be out of mild steel or possibly copper wire and the radius'
involved could be quite small (2-3"). This might also include large
curves, rings, etc.

I have a MIG welder, vise, hand tools, propane torch, and mapp/oxygen
torch. I think i should purchase one of these, bur I'm not sure which
would be best. Does anyone have any recomendations or other
suggestions?

A "universal bender" I see at

A parts bender at
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...ctId=630&R=630