Default OT Ford truck problem...

I think I may have the dreaded fuel-filter-in-the tank, as i looked
but could not find an external one, but I am planning to look again
and ask my parts guy to check if he lists one.

It's usually in the left frame rail right under the driver, it uses
special white U-shaped plastic clips to retain it, they just pull out
of the connector sideways with a screwdriver, then the hoses pull
out straight along the axis of the filter. Looks like a silver can,
maybe fist sized. Replacement filters usually have new clips, but
check to be sure before you break them in the process of getting
them out.

I have to take a look at a manual to see how to get the code to read
out.

I don't have it here, but it's two pins on the diagnostic connector,
then
get behind the wheel, turn the key, and count flashes. Then look up
numbers in book.

Wait a sec...try this:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.html
these guys have the pinouts AND the codes. I'm pretty sure
that the codes between the ranger and full size are the same, but
if not, I'm sure someone here will forcibly correct me. :^)

--Glenn Lyford