Robert11

Default To Charlie Bress: Piezo Ignition, etc. ?

Hi,

Thanks for info on recent post re piezo ignition on
contemplated hot water heater. Appreciate it.

Have a pretty good understanding, think, regarding the piezoelectric
effect.

But, am uncertain how it's utilized for these heaters.

Is it that when no heat is called for, the main gas valve is off, and there
is also No pilot light.

Then, when heat for the water is called for by the therm, the main valve
opens, and the piezo element provides the voltage for a spark ?

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here.

How is the piezo "deformed" to provide the high voltage for the spark during
normal operation ?

If you might describe the sequence op operation for me, I'd be most
appreciative.

BTW: Is there still an always-on pilot light with this type of system, or
is it as I described above ? Still confused, I guess.

Thanks,
Bob