Default strange scratches/nicks from hand planing end grain?

Chris Friesen wrote:
I recently glued up a panel from pine boards. I decided to try
smoothing the end grain with my new Veritas low angle jack plane. Did
an okay job, but not as well as I hoped (probably my technique).

Anyways, when I was done I noticed a series of distinct scratches down
the sole of the plane that hadn't been there before, as well as a number
of nicks in my (newly honed) blade. A certain amount of foul language
ensued...

Any ideas what might have caused this or how to avoid it in the future?

My current theory is an errant grain of something abrasive (sand?)
embedded in the wood.

Chris

If the scratches are behind the blade it may indicate that something
chipped the blade and that blade fragment then scored the plane.

It has been a long long time since I used a manual plane but isn't a
jack plane designed for very rough removal of wood ?

I always used a smoothing plane angled at about 30 -45 degrees from the
direction of stroke for planing end grain. A very fine shaving set and
more a slicing movement.