skeezics

Default Unisaw motor mount

On 8 Nov 2005 05:58:24 -0800, "the_tool_man"
wrote:

Hi all:

I'm searching for a used Unisaw, and anticipating buying one that's a
little rough - possibly from a school auction. It will almost
certainly have a 3-phase motor (which I can deal with) and may be 460V
(which I can't deal with). I do have access to a number of suitable
motors, but none of them have the proprietary Delta mounting. I do not
want to pay hundreds of dollars for a new motor when I have a free one,
so I'm wondering if it's possible to modify a standard motor case to
fit. The Delta mounting appears to be two large tabs welded onto the
side of the motor. Anybody done this, or have plans or instructions?
My searches so far have yeilded very little.

Regards,
John.

the mount isnt the only problem that could come up. you will also need
a motor with a 3/4 inch shaft else you will be buying a new pully.
also most of the older 3 ph motors were 1725 rpm wihich means they use
the larger 5 1/2" pully. most of the new motors i have seen are 3450
rpm and you will need the smaller variety of pully. 3 1/4"? or there
abouts. it is a 3 belt drive pully and may be hard to locate if you
have a smaller or larger shaft size. you can take a standard mounting
plate and have ears mounted to it but i think you may be getting into
as much moey and trouble as getting a new motor. you may need to get
new pullys anyway. when i changed mine from 3 ph to single ph i found
all of the motors offered to be the higher rpm variety and of course
mine was not. check out t owwm site.

skeez