Mike Berger

Default Need help repairing exterior door

There are some great looking steel doors, including some clad
with real wood veneer. You can get steel doors with windows
built in.

That's not to say that you shouldn't go to the trouble of
repairing the old door, but I don't think steel doors should
be excluded for the reasons you mentioned.

wrote:

To the others: Steel doors are problamatic. They'd be 4" shorter than
the current door, so I'd have some wall to fill. And I'd lose the
window, making the garage darker than it already is (the vehicle doors
are windowless; I'd be going from 3 windows down to 2.) And they just
look wrong on an old house. The garage is no architectural treasure,
but I go through that door twice a day five days a week, and I want it
to feel right.

Chris