Grant Erwin

Default Kroil is Better Than PB Blaster??

JWho wrote:
Am I getting this right? You guys are saying Kroil brand penetrating oil is
better than PB Blaster brand? Is my can of Liquid Wrench penetrating oil
better than... nothing? :-)

Kroil is IMO the best. Liquid Wrench has also worked for me in the past, but it
just doesn't work as well. It can, however, be purchased at your local hardware
store on a Sunday at 10PM, and Kroil is available only online or through
industrial vendors, typically 7-4 M-F or via mail order.

Never tried PB Blaster, almost certainly better than LW, might work better than
Kroil on some things. If I saw some somewhere I'd pick some up. Normally when I
use penetrating oil I'm in some sort of difficult situation and I'd try nearly
anything. But be aware, penetrating oil alone rarely is the complete solution.
Almost always, I use heat in conjunction with penetrating oil, often with
repeated heat/cool cycles that can last up to 2 weeks. Patience is key. Another
key is you MUST use the best possible tool to address the stuck item. Is it a
hex head bolt? Use a quality 6-sided box wrench or socket. Is it a slotted
screw? Use a US-made (or German made, just not an el cheapie) impact driver with
the tip that fits the slot tightly. Same for Phillips except use the largest
impact Phillips bit that will fit tightly. Broken off stud? Use real Vise Grips,
clamped as tightly as you can get them, as solidly as you can. Remember, you may
only get one chance at removing the item, so don't monkey around with cheap pliers.

GWE