Gunner Asch

Default Newbie Tool question

On 8 Nov 2005 07:57:22 -0800, wrote:

I've been reading this group for a while now and am impressed with the
knowledge I've seen. I've learned alot. I am new to metalworking, and
have a couple of questions I hope you can help with.

I want to make some ornamental things, mostly one-offs such as bird
feeder hangers, artistic wall hangings, etc. This would involved
making bends in mild steel. I plan to use mostly thin plate (less than
1/4 " for sure - mostly 24 gauge) and round and square bar (nothing
more than 3/8" - mostly 1/4" and smaller) and possibly rebar. This
would all be out of mild steel or possibly copper wire and the radius'
involved could be quite small (2-3"). This might also include large
curves, rings, etc.

I have a MIG welder, vise, hand tools, propane torch, and mapp/oxygen
torch. I think i should purchase one of these, bur I'm not sure which
would be best. Does anyone have any recomendations or other
suggestions?

A "universal bender" I see at

A parts bender at
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...ctId=630&R=630

I use something similar. HF also sells a "compact bender" They work
very well, though its not always intuitive as to how to set the thing
up for multiple bends.

I made a bunch of hooks, to hang from the holes in pallet racks
yesterday. Now Ive got my extension cords (10/3 and 10/4) off the
floor. I made a shelf for milling clamps the night before with it,
out of 3/16 x 1" flat stock, and tigged it all together (I needed the
practice badly)

It likely will not do tiny stuff very well but for general work..they
are hard to beat. The big problem is...mounting the things so they
dont move, or pull over the bench if its mounted on a bench. Im going
to pour a slab just for this, as mine is pedistal mounted.

Gunner

or possibly just a ring roller at

for torturing the cat." Gunner