jim rozen

Default Opinions on a used Atlas/Craftsman 12" lathe...

In article , Gunner Asch says...

Ever wonder why nearly no machine tool dealer ever posts something
here? Because they know all about "tire kickers". And its not like
machine tool dealers dont have cheap machines collecting dust.....they
do, and often far too many of them, that are perfect for the home shop
machinist, but are too old, or too light duty for the commercial
market.

The other reason they don't (and btw, Dave Ficken *did* as did
scott logan, for a while) is because the HSM crowd is certainly
directed enough to go out and find the dealers - especially those
HSM types that are computer literate!

You would get a smile talking to dave sobel. I love being in
his shop on occasion, hearing only one side of the phone
conversation. If he ever had any patience for tire-kickers,
it was probably used up in about 1960.

OTOH I think used machinery dealers do appreciate somebody who
says 'this is what I want, and here's the money if you have it.'

I'm still looking for a white dial hardinge UM or TM in cherry
condition for example. Sobel may be closed before he finds one
though.

Jim

please reply to: