Default Wiring load question

Bob Watkinson wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
EricP wrote:
On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 19:13:45 -0000, "Bob Watkinson"
wrote:

Any comments please?

2.5mm flat tw/e has a current carrying capacity of 20A.

No, it is rated to carry 20A continuous. That means it has higher
current carrying capacity, but more significantly will happily carry
much more intermittently.

That may be so but when designing circuits we have to follow the regulations
irrespective of our assumptions of whether or not full load current is to
be carried intermittently or not. The regs allow diversity in some
situations but not in others and when they do then specific calculations are
made to determine an assumed load. As an electrical engineer it would have
been irresponsible to recommend anything other than what I did.

even though the socket on 2.5 is both safe and within regs?

NT