Bob Watkinson

Default Wiring load question

"EricP" wrote in message
Just looking at my house ring main and a bit bothered with my kitchen
sockets.

The socket ring is one loop from a 30 amp fuse using 2.5 T&E.

In the corner of the kitchen the ring goes down from the ceiling into
an above worktop double socket and then down under the worktop into
another double socket.

I always assumed the ring would go into the top socket with one wire
unbroken and on to the bottom one and the other wire into and out of
the socket. ie both sockets on the full ring.

I have just found the ring stops at the above worktop socket and the
bottom one is a spur.

Fine, except the bottom one has a washing machine and a dishwasher
plugged in. If both machines are on and the heaters go on, it seems
to me that the load on the spur wire is near maximum.

To do what I thought would be the accepted thing would have involved
only an extra meter of cable and avoided three sets of wires in the
top socket terminals.

Any comments please?

2.5mm flat tw/e has a current carrying capacity of 20A. The IEE regs do
allow a spur to be wired in 2.5 despite the potential 26A loading. It's not
a situation I would design for though and if you can incorporate it into
your ring I would do it.