John Grabowski

Default How to construct an electrical ground in the soil? (please, practical advice, no code fightings)

"SammyBar" wrote in message
Hi Sammy. I understand your need to install a good ground. The

previous
postings to your questions have given you some good information. We can
probably give you more help if you tell us what country you are in?

Mexico, Veracruz state. If anyone tell me where to find constructiom codes
in the web for Mexico, I'll appreciate it very much.

what materials are accessible to you? Are you able to purchase ground
rods
and #6 or #4 copper wire?

I'll investigate this subject. At least I can found copper and galvanized
steel pipe

What are the soil conditions in your garden? Are
you in a dry climate or do you get rain?

It is a tropical climate, I think like Florida. Soil is dusty, very small
grains, humidity is high.

If not how about bare copper wire?

Copper wire is available also

What type of electrical service is coming into your house?
How many volts and amps?

110 Volt/60Hz. I'm not sure about amps

Thank you very much for your interest.
Sammy

I don't know about codes for Mexico, but you can purchase a copy of the
National Electrical Code (NFPA 70) from Amazon.com or from NFPA.org. Read
article 250 on grounding. You could try contacting your local power company
for advice also. I recall the last time I was in Mexico observing the
haphazard wiring on the outside of many buildings. It didn't appear to have
any uniformity and certainly no safety standards. Does your area have
something like what we have for code enforcement or for building plan
approval? I would think that someone must be responsible for authorizing
new construction.

Dry dusty soil is probably not the best soil conditions for grounding
purposes. You will need to get as much copper as you can in contact with
the soil. If you have a basement you can drive a few ground rods in the
floor or in the side walls. Ground rods, by code should be a minimum of 6'
apart. However 8' rods are most effective when they are 16' or more apart.

If ground rods are not available, heavy wall copper pipe will have to do.
You can also run a long length of bare copper wire (#2) directly in the soil
for at least 20', but longer is better. It should be buried a few feet
down.

I don't know if Mexico uses a grounded electrical system so I'm not sure if
you can bring your grounding electrode conductor into your main electrical
service. One way to possibly check is to go look at the transformer that is
feeding your house. Assuming it is on a pole, you may see a ground rod at
the base of the pole with a wire from it going up the pole to the
transformer.

If your service is not a grounded type, you can bring your grounding
electrode to termination on a solid copper bar or plate that can be mounted
near your electrical service.