John Cartmell

Default Council tax and new ways..........

In article , Andy Hall
wrote:
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 14:12:38 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell
wrote:

In that case I'd better mention that the public school/private school
overlap is quite large and the former is almost entirely a sub-set of the
latter. But I didn't think I'd need to spell it out.

You didn't. As I said, public schools are a relatively small subset of the
private sector.

Adding the equivalent for girls' schools - I think not. Do you have the
figures - and how are you defining 'Public School'?

I was talking about the individual and the educational benefits.
Unless you have actually experienced use of both sectors personally,
it is difficult to appreciate those.

I have.

In the sense of having paid to have a child educated in one?

So no, then?

Be very wary of rash assumptions. Ths one is *very* rash.

[Snip]

The only thing wrong with selection was the state of the schools that the
majority of pupils attended. And the fact that most authorities didn't
select but used a scholarship system. It was all based on a pernicious lie.

Well.... as an anecdote, I have a number of friends in my age peer group
who went to grammar, selective and secondary modern schools in my area in
the late 60s. All were and have remained happy with the education they
received

So none of them at secondary school were told they were just marking time
before going into the mill?
None of them notice the gross imbalance between funding for grammar and
secondary modern schools?
You're not bothered that the 11-plus was sold as a selective examination when
all it did was cream off the number of places available in far better
provisioned grammar schools?
It doesn't worry you that girls had to obtain a higher score than boys in
order to 'pass' the 11-plus simply because there were more grammar school
places for boys?
You're not concerned that there was meant to be three types of school -
grammar, technical grammar, and secondary modern - but most authorities never
bothered about the second or hardly developed the idea - and there was no
attempt to select for those fitted for such an education?