Default Sound insulation

Ben Da Menda wrote:
Anyone out there had any experiences with insulating for sound? I am looking
to insulate a bedroom to use as a music practice room any info much
appreciated.
Ben.

Search for "camden partition".
Basically, you construct a stud wall 1 inch inside the current wall,
and line the gap will
fibreglass insulation (like the loft insulation stuff). A couple of
thicknesses of plasterboard
with the joints staggered, and your there. Pretty good performance.
However, any contact points will transmit the vibration, so isolate
them with rubber.
The best you could do would be construct a "cupboard" only touching the
floor via a big
rubber pad. Build the cupboard like a camden partition. You have to
make it air-tight as the slightest air path will allow the sound out.
But then you need air to breathe. Studios use complex air-con with
baffles etc for this. You could go in, and make sure you open the door
every 10 minutes !
Anyway, I hope all this gives you the right idea.
Simon.