Gunner Asch

Default Building a workshop in my basement?

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 19:27:13 -0800, wrote:

On 7 Nov 2005 13:55:41 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article ,

says...

Heh, got that t-shirt too. Did you take pics of th'
rebuild/restoration Jim? Always liked those older Beemers.

Ah, I know I *should* have, but a lot of this was done one
spare hour at a time. If I thought I had to stop and take
photos, I never would have even ventured into the shop
most nights!

Documenting projects can be a pain alright. Taking th' pics is th'
easy part, akin to pullin' th' trigger whilst deer hunting... then th'
real work starts g.

Here's a tooling project I documented, well, almost to completion:
http://tinyurl.com/9wbps Th' audience it was aimed at were not
machinists. This was tooling we made that would allow us to
accurately and repeatedly slot mounting holes (and use as a QC jig)
for a proprietary, custom Harley-Davidson, high flow, air intake
system we manufacture.

This retrofit was a nightmare to figure out. Turns out H-D
reorientated and canted th' mounting patterns mid-stream in '01. Our
theory is they did it to screw with th' aftermarket suppliers... it
worked.

I have a before snapshot or two, but the program is still
on-going. Ie, it ain't done yet!

So that means there's still hope ; )

I still have to paint
the tank and fenders still. That's the only thing holding
me up. Funny how paint that looks like it's about to fall
off on its own when the bikes running, all of a sudden becomes
the most impervious, impenenetrable, adhesive, toughest,
most ever-lasting material the instant you hit it with
a sandblaster, stripper, a wire brush, or a scraper.

Got that t-shirt also. Imron I believe is what we sprayed on my '37
H-D years ago. Try removing that ****! Ultimately ended up just
sanding it and usin' it as a base coat after trying all of th' above.

I'm seriously thinking of painting some chemical stripper
on *all* my bikes just to make their paint last longer.

:^)

You might just have something there. I'm leaning towards truck bed
liner and sayin' to hell with it, heh, heh.

Snarl

Paint??? Bugs are better. Wont rust under a thick layer of bug guts.
And you only need to keep a a putty knife handy for clearing the
heandlight. Of course..with a Boxer... jack rabbit and the occasional
coyote makes for improved engine coatings. They never rust or oxidize
if you keep a good coating of bugs and small animal guts on your bike.

Though it does tend to smell interesting for a couple weeks if you hit
something big and squishy. When hitting a coyote..aim for the
shoulders/neck area. If you hit one in the belly...it can be really
squishy.

Gunner, '73 R90/6

for torturing the cat." Gunner