Colbyt

Default Need help repairing exterior door

"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote in message

snip

My third choice is to totally cut off the bottom of the stile, and to
mill a solid replacement piece. How would I join the new piece to the
old piece? Biscuits? Dowels? Scarf? I have a scrap of pressure
treated wood big enough. Will pressure treated wood glue normally?
I'm leery of milling it down in my basement workshop, as I have a
vacuum cleaner sucking through a separator lid on a garbage can for
dust collection, and no air filter. The router table could come up the
stairs and outside, though. I've never tried to mill such a
complicated profile with the router; I'd need (elliptical? must
measure precisely) cove and round-over bits. I have a straight bit,
and my ogee might work to complete the profile.

Anyway, thanks for any input. I'll check in over the next few days,
and summarize any responses sent in email.

Chris

I'd go with a fourth choice and replace the door and jamb with a steel

unit.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Considering that you can buy a new pre-hung steel door and jamb unit for
about $100, I agree option 4 is your best bet. It should not take you more
than 4-5 hours to have a brand new insulated door in place.

Colbyt