Ken Weitzel

Default Heating effect of AC vs DC

Surfer wrote:
I would like to test the current carrying capability of a connector that's
used in a 208VAC 3-phase circuit. I have the manufacturer's spec (10 amps at
300V) and just want to verify performance in this application. For reasons
that would take too long to explain, I want to test this connector out of
circuit. It was suggested to just use a low voltage supply, like a PC power
supply and set up a resistive load that would deliver 10 amps.

Since the formula for power, P=I^2*R doesn't include a value for voltage,
would 10 amps at 3VDC provide the same heating effect as 10 amps at 208VAC?

Hi Surfer...

Good plan, hope you share how this is done and we'll all be
zillionaires

Sorry, couldn't resist, meant no disrespect.

Dunno where your formula for power came from; but think you really
meant P (watts) = I * E

Your example above - 10 amps at 3 volts would be 30 watts; and
10 amps at 208 volts would be 624 watts. There's no free lunch

Take care.

Ken