William Wixon

Default Chopsaw blade on a tablesaw?

"Mike Young" wrote in message
et...
I need to cut a lot of 16 ga., and so thought I would put the tablesaw to
work with a chopsaw blade. It didn't seem such an awful idea, but I sure
wasn't ready for the spark show. Thought I would take a break and see if
prevailing wisdom has a commonsense reason why this is a bad thing to do.
The fire extinguisher is close at hand...

a recent project, cutting up some grating, didn't want to use O/A torch, too
cheap to buy a dry cut saw, just bought a dry cut saw blade (milwaukee 10"
from amazon.com) put it on my table saw (rpm's were substantially lower than
my circular saw). worked, what for me was, OK. i use a sliding plywood
miter box on top of the tablesaw bed. one thing though, with grating,
towards the end of the cut the already cut pieces could/would pinch the
blade, which sucked, i broke/chipped a few (BRAND NEW) teeth that way. dry
cut blade was more expensive i'd imagine than an abrasive cut off saw blade,
less sparks though i'd imagine. don't know if you can cut sheet metal with
it though, i'd guess you'd have to feed it slowly but more importantly very
steadily.

b.w.