Big Bill

Default New TV aerial for 'strong' or 'weak' signal?

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:29:46 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Christian McArdle wrote:
Incidentally, I already use a feed off the (now broken) aerial for the
digital TV card in my PC, and that seemed to work perfectly OK. Does
that mean a standard aerial should be OK? As in, is digital TV reception
"all or nothing"??

Nah. It's not all or nothing. The bit rate gets worse and you start getting
drop out, particularly in bad weather. If you're going to pay for someone to
be up there, you might as well fit something decent rather than a crappy
contract aerial.

OK, thanks. So is the highly-expensive (IMHO!) digital aerial that this
bloke wants to fit sound like it might be what's required?

If I was to diy I'd be very grateful for pointers as to where to buy a
decent aerial of the correct spec! What about this one?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXD19.html Still way less than the
apparent cost from my local riggers...

Thanks
David

Your local riggers have to pay for advertising, a van, loads of
insurance, somewhere to store the gear etc. etc. Plus they have enough
experience, often hard-won, to handle problems when they come up
against them. If it was dead easy, people couldn't make a living out
of it. Like a lot of things, really.

BB

--
www.kruse.co.uk/