Steve Walker

Default Silicone sealant - shelf life and failure mode

Grunff wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:

Fitted a stainless steel 'sit-on' kitchen sink onto a cheap B&Q
base unit yesterday. Instructions said to bed it on silicone
sealant. I used a tube of trade Evode window silicone, which
had been around for years but unopened. Tube says
quick-skinning, high-adhesion, low-modulus, so it seemed ideal.

I noticed at the time that there was no vinegary smell, and 24
hrs later the surface hasn't skinned (in dry area, room temp).

Old acetate-cure silicone will either not cure or take a very
long time to cure. If you've seen no skinning after 24 hours, I'd
be very surprised if you ever see any :-(

Oh, bugger.... The pipework's all installed, and it'll be an evil job to
take it back off again (especially now it's 'buttered' with sticky sealant
round the edges). Never mind, it's only a 'bed' of 1-2mm so I'll scrape out
what I can and 'repoint' with new sealant. The mechanical fit is already
reinforced with small L brackets inside the base unit, so it's not going to
move around. Thank heaven I wasn't fitting a window frame or bath though!

Thanks for the info re sealant, Grunff.