Andy Hall

Default Council tax and new ways..........

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:23:07 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Regular collections paid for out of the rates (or whatever) are by far the
best - and most cost effective - method.

It would be if it dealt with the *whole* problem. It doesn't.

If I want to get rid of garden materials,

Garden materials are best composted. Better for the environment in every
way - and for the garden.

Generally true, although not all material is suitable for that. My
options are to deliver to the tip, get a skip or buy special sacks at
the council offices. None of these are convenient.

scraps of wood

Must be large scraps if they won't fit in a dustbin. Which then come under
the heading of commercial waste.

Why? I haven't obtained them through commercial endeavour.

After all, you object to paying a flat
rate for rubbish collection?

or larger things I have to take it to the tip or get a skip.

Well, yes. Domestic rubbish collection is normally restricted to the day
to day domestic rubbish, strangely. Think of the size of a dustcart that
would be needed to take away the contents of the average skip. ;-)

Understood. What I'd like to have is a single, convenient solution
for all rubbish that I can pay for as I use it. The annoyance is one
bit here, one bit there and so on, and largely at the discretion of
whether the bin men decide they want to take something away or not.

Either the local authority should provide a solution for all of the
problem or none of it.

--

..andy